The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has planned four open house meetings in February to update the public on the status of a Recreation Capacity Study and Master Plan Update for Lake Lanier.
Each open house will feature the same information, with subject matter experts from the Corps of Engineers on hand to brief the public on the purpose and goals of the study. In the past, such meetings did not include a formal presentation by the USACE.
The Corps of Engineers began a Recreation Capacity Study in October 2017 to review current and future recreational needs and capacity at Lake Sidney Lanier in Georgia. The study is expected to be complete by the end of 2018.
The results of the study will be used to update the Lake Lanier Master Plan. The Master Plan is a comprehensive land and recreational management tool that guides the stewardship of natural and cultural resources and the provision of outdoor recreation facilities and opportunities at the project.
Data collected during the study will be documented in a Recreation Capacity Report and additional public meetings will be held to present the report’s findings. An updated draft Master Plan and Environmental Assessment will then be developed with a final updated Master Plan expected to be released by the end of 2019.
Dates and Locations of Open House Meetings
Open House #1
- Tuesday, February 13, 4-8 p.m.
- Buford Community Center; 2200 Buford Hwy NE; Buford, GA 30518
Open House #2
- Thursday, February 15, 4-8 p.m.
- Hall County Government Center
- 2875 Browns Bridge Rd; Gainesville, GA 30504
Open House #3
- Tuesday, February 20, 4-8 p.m.
- Forsyth County, Central Park Banquet Room
- 2300 Keith Bridge Rd; Cumming, GA 30040
Open House #4
- Thursday, February 22, 4-8 p.m.
- Dawson County, Kilough Elementary
- 1063 Kilough Church Rd; Dawsonville, GA 30534