Corps of Engineers
Lake Lanier was constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the 1950’s. The Corps has many important responsibilities in managing the lake:
- The Corps controls the flow of water out of the lake via Buford Dam.
- The Corps owns much of the lakeshore.
- Homeowners need the Corps permission to install a dock on their property or to do any work on public property.
- The Corps operates 46 parks areas and leases out additional areas to city and county governments plus marinas and Lake Lanier Islands.
Lake Lanier is one of 464 lakes in 43 states constructed and operated by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Website: https://lanier.sam.usace.army.mil
- Phone: 770-945-9531
- Water Release Information: 770-945-1466
- Lake Level Information: 770-945-1467