Department of Natural Resources
The Department of Natural Resources are responsible for many of the rules and regulations needed to keep Lake Lanier running smoothly.
The DNR are responsible for boat and fishing licenses:
- Boat Registrations: Call 1-800-366-2661 or visit the DNR website.
- Fishing and Hunting Licenses: Visit the DNR website.
The DNR, together with the Corps of Engineers, actively stocks the lake every year with fingerlings. The two main species are:
- Striped bass. The lake record is 46 pounds. These were introduced over thirty years ago and are of the Atlanta variety. They are a challenging fishing experience, famous for breaking tackles and having plenty of strength and stamina.
- Largemouth bass. These sometimes grow to over 15 pounds.
- Website: https://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us
- Phone: 770-535-5700